Friday, March 19, 2010

SASQUATCH! Music: Freelance Whales - Generator ^ First Floor



My first reaction to this band after sampling on LaLa was that they sound too synthetic. But after seeing this subway clip, they actually seem to be organically making the sounds and not just using made-up midi voices. The harmonies are especially interesting when live.

This is the first band I’ve looked up that doesn’t have a wiki page, which speaks to their status I guess. However they were bioed as a “band to watch” by Steriogum last fall:

[W]e sorta figured this band would fall squarely into the prevailing washed out/hypnagogic fuzzbucket hazed-pop thing before having heard a note. After seeing ‘em at a loft party and spending some time with their self-released debut, it’s really nice to hear that they don’t fall there at all.

Reviews talk in absolutes in order to be interesting, so I won’t blame them, but I'm not sure "they don't fall there at all" is really accurate.

So while they do still capture that now-falling Sufjan Stevens sound, it’s mostly because of recording style. If they didn’t clean up their studio sound so much it would sound a lot more like the live clips, which I think are more interesting.

1 comment:

  1. This is an excellent post I seen thanks to share it. It is really what I wanted to see hope in future you will continue for sharing such a excellent post.
    graphic designer

    ReplyDelete